SEATTLE – REI Co-op is opening its first New Hampshire store in North Conway on September 27. As a gateway to outdoor adventures in the White Mountains, REI North Conway will feature a new retail format that combines top-quality outdoor gear, guided outdoor experiences and a wide variety of equipment rentals. Located in Settlers Green, REI North Conway is designed to both serve the 53,000 co-op members in New Hampshire and the millions of visitors that adventure in the region every year.
“North Conway is an exciting location, as it allows us to serve our New England members in the heart of where they recreate,” said Rachel Ligtenberg, REI vice president of retail. “By combining retail, outdoor experiences and rentals all into one seamless in-store experience, REI North Conway can help every kind of adventurer get outside in the White Mountains.”
REI North Conway differs from the co-op's traditional retail spaces in that rather than being designed for the products it sells, it is designed first to be a launching pad for outdoor activities – a place where people of all levels of expertise can gather to plan their trip, pick up rentals or enjoy a guided outdoor experience. While most REI stores are located where members live, work and shop, REI North Conway is located closer to where they get outside and play.
REI launched its experience offerings in North Conway in June and will continue to offer workshops, classes and guided day programs in the White Mountains. A national leader in outdoor experiences, last year, the co-op helped more than 350,000 people across the country get outside. Around the country and globe, REI’s outdoor experiences inspire people to lead an active lifestyle through a wide range of classes, tours and events. Upcoming day programs in North Conway include Scenic Rappelling Adventure in the White Mountains and Fall Colors Kayak Tour. For a full list of guided and instructional programs, visit REI.com/events.
To continue the celebration, REI is investing $20,000 in the Mt. Washington Valley Trails Association to help construct the North Conway Recreation Path. REI has also contributed more than $200,000 over the last three years to the National Forest Foundation to support trail restoration work along the Crawford Path, the longest continuously used hiking trail in the United States.
“North Conway is a community that celebrates people getting outdoors,” said Shannon Hanley, REI North Conway store manager. "We are excited to help our members and guests enjoy the wide range of activities this region has to offer, while also investing in the outdoor spaces that make this area special.”
REI North Conway is celebrating the new store with free public activities, events and giveaways throughout the weekend.
• Shop early, get rewards: The first 250 people (age 18 and up) through the door on Friday, Saturday and Sunday will receive a limited-edition water bottle with a $10, $50 or $100 REI gift card inside. Doors open at 8 a.m. each day.
• Afternoon outdoor social: Starting at 3 p.m. on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, REI North Conway will host a party in the parking lot with free food, music, games and REI outdoor programs. Vendors will also be on site offering exclusive giveaways and demonstrations. Events end at 6 p.m. each day.
• Local partnerships: REI is partnering with local Tuckerman Brewing Company on a limited-edition brew, “Snow Ranger White Ale.” Together, REI and Tuckerman Brewing are donating 10% of beer sales to the Friends of Tuckerman Ravine. Funds will support the Friends of Tuckerman Ravine’s ongoing partnership with the Mount Washington Avalanche Center as they provide daily avalanche forecasting and search and rescue leadership across the Presidential Range.
REI is a member-owned co-op offering top-quality gear, expertise and experiences to connect people to a life outdoors. While anyone may shop at REI, members pay a lifetime $20 membership and share in the company’s profits through an annual dividend. In addition, REI actively works with nonprofits to steward local trails and public lands and connect people to the outdoors. The co-op annually gives more than 70 percent of its profits back to the outdoor community through member dividends, employee retirement contributions and investment in nonprofit partners. In 2018, REI invested $8.4 million to 431 nonprofit organizations across the country.
REI North Conway joins eight other REI stores in New England, including four in Massachusetts, three in Connecticut and one in Rhode Island. REI will also open its first store in Vermont in Williston in November 2019.
• Address: Settlers Green - 1498 White Mountain Highway, C-30
• Square footage: 24,779 square feet, includes 18,750 square-foot storefront and adjacent 6,029 square-foot space
• Special features: Equipment rentals, guided outdoor experiences
• Number of employees: Over 30 in North Conway
• REI Co-op membership: Over 53,000 lifetime members in New Hampshire
About the REI Co-op
REI is a specialty outdoor retailer, headquartered near Seattle. The nation’s largest consumer co-op, REI is a growing community of more than 18 million members who expect and love the best quality gear, inspiring expert classes and trips, and outstanding customer service. REI has 155 stores in 35 states and the District of Columbia. If you can’t visit a store, you can shop at REI.com, REI Outlet or the free REI shopping app. REI isn’t just about gear. Adventurers can take the trip of a lifetime with REI’s active adventure travel company, a global leader that runs more than 250 itineraries across all continents. In every community where REI has a presence, professionally trained instructors share their expertise by hosting beginner-to advanced-level classes and workshops about a wide range of activities. To build on the infrastructure that makes life outside possible, REI invests millions annually in hundreds of local and national nonprofits that create access to—and steward—the outdoor places that inspire us all.